yozenity’s first ever Buddha Bowl! Buddha Bowls are taking the healthy eating world by storm and it’s not hard to see why. Toss some clean, fresh, healthy foods together in a bowl, add some sauce, dressing, and/or spice and enjoy! There will be more bowls to come from yozenity because this is now an OBSESSION but this will be declared the “original” yozenity Bowl!
The signature element in the yozenity Bowl is the spiced chickpeas. There’s an Afghani kabob place outside of DC where I used to have chickpeas that were AMAZING. This is my not-quite-accurate recreation of them but delicious nonetheless. You can make the chickpeas as a side dish for any meal, it’s not exclusive to this Buddha Bowl but it’s a central part! The tahini added here makes a nice dip/dressing for the vegetables and the lime is the perfect touch for the avocado as well as everything else. If all you have is store bought hummus, add that here instead. Enjoy!
Makes 4 bowls
- 1 15oz can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- Water to cover
- 2 tbsp olive, avocado, or coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 4 large handfuls arugula
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced or diced
- 2 cups frozen snap peas, steamed
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- In a small pot, place all ingredients except for the oil and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chickpeas soften.
- Add olive oil a little at a time as water evaporates to moisten the chickpea mixture.
- Add additional spices and salt to taste.
- When chickpeas are tender and liquid has thickened, remove bay leaf.
- Heat quinoa and water over medium high heat, reduce to simmer. Remove from heat when water is absorbed and quinoa has “popped.” (this is optional, if you are going low carb or low cal you can skip the quinoa, it will still be a satisfying bowl!)
- Line the bottom of each bowl with quinoa3. On top of quinoa, place large handful of arugula, ½ cup carrots, ½ avocado, ¼ chickpea recipe, ½ cup snap peas, and ¼ cup radishes. Place a dollop of tahini in the middle and squeeze lime over the avocado (and anything else you want!). Serve.