This is one hearty vegetarian stew. The combination of textures and flavors will keep you warm and satisfied. Perfect for a weeknight dinner with leftovers for lunch. Adapted from FitPregnancy.com.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes (1 pound), scrubbed and cut into large chunks
- 2 plump cloves garlic, pressed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch chard, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat in a large nonstick sauté pan or Dutch oven.
- Add onion, potatoes, garlic, red pepper, paprika, thyme and parsley. Sauté for 2 minutes; lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chickpeas and stock; season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While stew is simmering, cook chard in a small amount of water until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Salt lightly.
- Mix chard into stew. Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over each serving and garnish with remaining parsley.