This apple cinnamon oatmeal, made with steel cut oats and easily done in a slow cooker, is the ultimate go-to breakfast. The original recipe I found did not include the apples so I decided to throw them into the mix to make this a complete package. Often times I add a banana or some other fruit on top of oatmeal, which you can also do here, but the apples incorporated are so delicious that it isn’t really necessary. It’s important to use steel cut oats because rolled ones turn to mush in the cooking process. This apple cinnamon oatmeal is gluten-free, dairy-free, and is a healthy filling breakfast that is also freezer friendly!
Makes 6 servings
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats
- 6 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-9 hours, until oats are cooked through, milk has been absorbed, and apples are softened.
- Once the oatmeal is done cooking, stir until it is well combined.
Ready to eat, freeze, or hit the road!
Nutrition Information per serving (from MyFitnessPal):
Calories: 260 Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 48g Sugar: 20g Sodium: 246mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 6g